Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Summer is rolling in

It's April and Summer is creeping it's way in! The fact that the heat is rolling in struck up a nice conversation between my husband and I today. You see, last summer was the first summer in this home and yet we didn't feel it. We both agreed "hey summer wasn't that bad". The heat was tolerable. 

As a matter fact, last summer's heat is quite a blur. It didn't take either one of us long to realize why. We both spent summer of last year indoors, in hospitals. We would get home late, shower, then to bed. Wake up early, work and straight to the hospital again. 

For me, the hospital routine started  in January of last year, and he was very supportive. The day after my grandma's passing,  My husbands hospital routine started, right smack in the middle of summer. There would be nights that we would get home so late. At first it would be because we would fight with the ER dept to admit my father in law and that always took hours... One day he arrived early morning and wasn't admitted til past midnight. I remember this night clearly, it was a night that I was so tired and weak that I just couldn't give anymore, and it made it so hard to offer any support to my husband. This night wouldnt be the first time I showed weakness, but it was the first night of his last stay at the hospital because my father in law didn't come home after this stay. I remember even longer nights, they were chemo nights.  We never felt comfortable leaving my father in law on those nights. It was tough. So we would stay until the round would end. On this night we drove home at 3:15am, got home close to 4! And it was still triple digits out. So definitely a hot summer. This year will be different, this summer we will try to enjoy everything that we didn't get to enjoy last summer....backyard bbq's, summer evenings watching the sunset, summer concerts, long walks with our dogs, cooking together, having margarita's and enjoying each other. 

Last summer was tough, but we survived it. It didn't tear me up inside to even reminisce about it today and my husband didn't fall apart either. Great strides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment